Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mistakes, they're the ones that build me.


I don’t get what the big deal is, with making mistakes.

If only I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say, ‘Young people these days, humph!’ I definitely, wouldn’t be Aloe Blacc.

Every time I hear this phrase I die a little more inside. Teach Goddamnit! Instead, of spending so much time wallowing , cringing, whinging and forever seeing us as the mistake we made when we were newbies! Teach, reprimand, correct for goodness sake, instead of taking the moral high road of indignation. It’s unfortunate that in your eyes, we forever remain that minuscule or not so minuscule mistake we made way back when. God forbid you fail to notice when we actually begin to succeed. Or worse chalk it up to some sneaky way that we’re probably cheating the system.

I must admit, some of us millennials have had it easy. We didn’t get violently spanked by our mothers as our older siblings were. We weren’t sent off to camp during the holidays with no showers in the middle of the wilderness. Most of us had e-mail addresses earlier on in primary school and we printed out our holiday assignments. Our curfews were a bit later. We’ve travelled the world at such young ages. Times changed and we changed with the times. Or did you want us to hang back so that we could have more in common?

It’s time for you to accept that we’re different. We may not have used any alphabetical/hierarchical order when addressing that e-mail to multiple recipients (promptly ruffling some executive feathers). Yes you ‘oldies’ have this thing about hierarchy; it's okay though, we can learn to get that. We may not understand what is wrong with our creative writing in that company brief the first time round. We probably won’t realize that we use the word, ‘Like’ or ‘umm’ that much when explaining something. We most probably won’t realize we annoy you, so, Goddamn, much.

However, as millennials, we learn pretty fast. We’re hungry for information and we’re great at using technology to make work more efficient and effective. We just could be the burst of life your organization needs.

So how about making use of that, rather than preaching that we’re all about one single doomed story?


Today, I’m thankful for all of you ‘oldies’ out there dedicated to my learning and that of many other millennials starting out.

Want to read more about millennials? Here's a Mashable article about how we're tackling the recession. This makes me think of the lack of adequate jobs in Kenya despite the thousands of University graduates being churned out by the system.
Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Madam, I have no problems with millenials, I wish they were not in hurry to get to the top so quickly. By all means make the mistakes and actually learn from them. My team is all millenials and I agree they liven up the office, but thats about it. Can you stand up and be counted for contributing to the bottom line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne for reading and your subsequent comment.

      In this particular post I was mainly referring to this blanket reference there is regarding millennials' dismal work ethic. That is more an 'individual problem'.
      In my opinion ambition is not a bad thing, it is there to drive a particular behaviour unless it is negative in that particular individual.
      Regarding 'standing up and being counted for contributing to the bottom line' all this tells me is you need to relinquish some responsibility to them so that they can actually contribute to the bottom line. Some level of trust will go a long way, they probably also can tell you have this 'opinion' about them. It doesn't help at all. Something also to note is I am assuming organisations will have a great organisational culture and top notch recruitment so as to select the best candidates (not only on paper).
      Lastly as food for thought; 'How Gung Ho is your organisation?'
      I would say if the entire group of millennials in an organisation are not ideal then the organisation will also have to budge and make it a conducive work environment. How much resources are KE companies allocating to organisation culture? (excluding MNCs)
      There's two sides to it. If your millennial employee isn't motivated coming to work then it will show in their attitude, output and overall performance. There's more you can do than assigning blame. Everyone is a work in progress. I highly doubt we as millennials just exist to liven up offices. My personal experiences and close peers put this assumption as questionable, actually false.

      This of course I am basing on my past experiences (albeit limited) and reading I have done.
      This is a lengthy discussion and I am open to discuss even further on e-mail.

      Thanks!

      Delete