Thursday, April 10, 2014

Do labels negate embracing diversity?

In today’s post I want to challenge you to share a story of a situation where you felt excluded. Whether it was because of your race, sexuality, political affiliations, language, physical attributes, you name it. Share it with someone, as I will share mine with you. I got the juice to write this post as I was reading through several articles about the history of Malcom X, Pan Africanism as well as the diversity program thriving in the organization I currently work in. Also of course, what is happening in Kenya in reference to Somalis, is thought provoking and devastating, to say the very least.

You would think diversity and the resources it makes available to every one of us would be a reason to bring people from all walks of life together. Well, in my mind it is. That is why organizations are investing heavily in diversity programs right? In my experience when working in a team, you don’t want to be bogged down with the same ideology, same challenges, same experiences, same opinions, same stories, same curse words, everything is the goddamn same! This would be a crying shame! And that is the reason why, I’m a big fan of diversity.

However, out of the workplace and into the big bad world where we are still backwards and 'unevolved', diversity is a thing of suspicion, it breeds intolerance and is a thing to point and stare at. We are unforgiving when it comes to diversity and sadly most of us are still stuck in our old ways. Well it’s about time we were curious about diversity, asked the right questions and subsequently understood what it represents and how it can work for us, instead of us working against it. At least for the mere reason that, sooner rather than later, it’s going to be forcefully shoved down our throats. 
Your move.

Okay back to my story before it’s too late.

Hafeshah my friend, has travelled quite a bit, but in actual fact the story I will share with you will be based on how she felt excluded in her home country. It’s normal to feel disconnected in certain aspects while you’re in a foreign country, and you were probably expecting that kind of a story. That is why I won’t write about that. It would be ordinary.

To begin this story I will start with the concept of labels. A label is a short word or phrase, descriptive of a person, group, intellectual movement, etc. Humans thrive on creating and identifying with labels. We huddle close to those of whom we share a label, we feel safe with them, and we feel like we belong, we are our label. This label, dictates to us how we behave. I have a friend here, he said to me, ‘I am concerned about other’s well being, I care, you know I am Christian?’ I smiled at his conviction and it was admirable that his religion was helping to mould him into a better person. But, what of those in our midst without religion sewn onto their chests? Are they held to the same standard of being caring and concerned? I must say these labels hold a great deal of power over us. It’s scary because not all of us are loyal subscribers, while others are extremists, loyal to the extent of death, theirs and others’.

Young and in love, Hafeshah’s significant other invites her to his church. Dedan, is her boyfriend of two years and he is catholic. It all goes well and of course Hafeshah is able to distinguish immediately the differences between both religions, and despite the blaring differences she is sure that they can find common ground. I mean, love is unconditional right? As she is greeted by his family, his father says all confidently, ‘Good, you are NOW in the right place’.

*I shan’t explain what is wrong with this statement*

She remains stoic, after all she is a master of concealing her real feelings.

The Sky promptly begins to fall…

I’m sorry, I know I said focus on the story but what I really wanted you to focus on, was the words. The story after all had to undergo much needed alterations, and maybe just maybe I was the girl, but the words in question are oh so real. I carry them with me every day, that I may never forget their impact. Once those words were spoken, yes I was shocked, angry even, but it wasn’t until later that I truly began to dissect their meaning. Then came despair, disbelief and thankfully resolve.


Religion. It’s a weighty subject, one I often avoid. I believe there is no ‘right’ religion. Religion is based on personal faith, this all encompassing belief. It is not automatically transferrable by the push of a button, nor is it automatically lost by selecting ‘undo’ on the keypad. We may be born into it, but when we come of age we either choose to believe, not to believe or select a different option. There are many to choose from. It’s personal. It’s the perfect live and let live situation, if we were smart. Don’t argue with someone about their religion as far as it doesn't threaten your existence. It’s theirs, their belief, theirs. Don’t touch it. But we are not smart. Getting in each other’s faces about faith, sigh when will we ever learn? 

The Bible says Jesus walked on water. Scientists will try and explain it by saying perhaps it was a dried lake, like most sections of Lake Magadi, or something else. Anyways, this article here explains that man can’t walk on water under normal circumstances and how only insects, spiders and other small organisms are able to. Christians however, do not need that explanation. They have faith, conviction that Jesus did indeed walk on water. See what I’m getting at? Two completely different philosophies and getting one or the other to cross over, would be as pointless as it would be frustrating. 
Live and let live why don't you.

Just as it is with religion, there is no right with ethnicity, sexual orientation and sex. It is how we came to be. Don’t tell me, the way ‘I am’ is wrong. Take a seat, strap yourself in. Better yet I have some duck tape that I would love to mummify you with. Idiot.

Why can’t I just be me? Be kind and caring without it being attributed to my religion. Be all about bringing politicians to book, without forever being labelled an unruly political activist. Fighting for equal rights for both men and women, without being labelled a frustrated feminist. Accepting of all sexual orientations without being known as a perverse, sexual deviant.  In short being humane instead of being labelled: a Christian, feminist, homosexual lover, political activist and all manner of terms. It’s a mouthful. Labels throw us off, they make us presumptuous. We end up dealing with labels rather than the people wearing the label. We stop reading behaviour because all we want to see is this label. I challenge you to stop hiding behind your label. This label has become our false redeemer.  We wear it like a badge of honour. As a talisman to keep off unwanted scrutiny. Stop it, it’s abhorrent. It’s insincere.

Hi there my name is Wandia, and I am where and who I ought to be today.

'My feeling is that labels are for canned food...I am what I am - and I know what I am.'
~ Michael Stipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment